POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unofficial.patches : UVPov alpha 6 (based on POV 3.1g) : Re: UVPov alpha 6 (based on POV 3.1g) Server Time
3 Sep 2024 00:21:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: UVPov alpha 6 (based on POV 3.1g)
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 29 Oct 1999 04:11:41
Message: <381956bd@news.povray.org>
Gilles Tran <tra### [at] inapginrafr> wrote:
: I understand the concern about pov viruses

  Please don't confuse viruses with trojans.
  A virus is a code that tries to spread itself by attaching itself to other
files of the same kind. Usually this infection is intended to be as invisible
as possible. Sometimes the virus can do some harm (intentionally or not) but
most of the time it tries not to, so that it can spread itself as much as
possible. Currently I don't know of any reasonable way of making a povray
virus.
  A trojan is just a program that seems to be ok, but when executed it makes
some harm. It doesn't spread itself, it just destroys everything it can.
As we have seen, trojans are quite easy to make with povray. And they can be
done in a way that they are _really_ hard to detect by examining the code
before rendering it.

: but perhaps this should be
: discussed more privately with the POV-Team. With the recent similar
: discussion in advanced.users, even the stupidest pov user (who, like me,
: didn't have the slightest clue about potential pov viruses and didn't even
: imagine why someone would want to create viruses with pov instead of making
: pictures) has now received quite interesting instructions about how to make
: one. And we don't want this, do we ?

  Cover-up is not the answer.
  Everyone with a minimal knowledge of C, delphi or visual basic can very
easyly make a trojan. We don't make any good by not telling anyone.
  People should know what harm can be done so that they can be aware and
not execute/render everything they download. People can't be cautious of
something they don't know.

  People should only execute or render things that come from trustworthy
persons, like me ;)